My husband is an eater. He prefers things featuring high spice levels, meat, cheese and basically anything wrapped in a tortilla, but I’m pretty lucky in that my husband will eat basically anything put in front of him. Last night we compromised by having sausage burgers on homemade cheese buns, grilled potatoes (oh my goodness, so good!), and this delicious quinoa salad. I thought it was delicious, and apparently so did he because he also had it for breakfast and a post-run snack today. Which is all well and good, except for the fact that there’s no more left for me! So I’ll be making this again, and you should try it too!
Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water or broth (I used vegetable broth)
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (equivalent to 1 can, drained and rinsed)
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
1 large tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, ribs & seeds removed (optional)
1. Bring water/broth to a boil. Add quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover. Quinoa usually takes anywhere from 15-20 minutes to cook. It should be soft and water should be absorbed. Let quinoa cool slightly.
2. Add beans and corn to medium sized bowl. Mix together.
3. Add slightly cooled quinoa and vinaigrette (see below for recipe), mix together.
4. Fold in tomatoes and pepper, if using.
5. Eat! Can be served cold or room temperature.
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar would be fine)
1- 1.5 tbsp lime juice, to taste (I used 1.5 because I like the zing!)
1.5 tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper, to taste
hot sauce, to taste (optional, I used chipotle Tabasco)
1. Whisk/shake together all ingredients. Taste and season accordingly to your preference.
(I like to make my dressings in mason jars, so they can be quickly shaken together)